All the dishes I’ve posted in this series so far have included a lot of cheese and dairy and could not remotely qualify as vegan. But here is a completely vegan meal that is also super filling and flavorful. This is really just a vegan version of my favorite Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry, with cashews standing in for the beef. Nuts are a great meat substitute because they are so filling and cashews are especially flavorful. I roasted the cashews before adding them to the stir-fry for even more flavor and crunch, but they are pretty good even unroasted. In addition to being super tasty, stir-fries make a perfect fast weeknight table and can generally be prepared in less than 30 minutes. Just add rice for a complete, healthy, meat-free meal!
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce or 1/4 cup regular soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spread the cashews out on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, Mirin, sesame oil and cornstarch, whisking until the cornstarch has dissolved.
- Pour the canola oil in a large frying pan or wok and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until the broccoli is bright green. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic!).
- Whisk the broth mixture once more and then add it to the pan, tossing the broccoli to make sure it is well-coated. Continue to cook the broccoli, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir the cashews and sesame seeds into the stir-fry and serve immediately over rice.